Author Topic: Flight sim nerd  (Read 3783 times)

159th_Axman

• Forum Administrator
  • YPV Master Brewer
  • Bus Killer
Flight sim nerd
« on: May 16, 2019, 04:20:17 AM »
See, that’s what happens from reading manuals.

Just ‘wing it’’, I say.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/15/18623545/eagle-dynamics-f-16-manual-conspiracy-smuggling-russia

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
Re: Flight sim nerd
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 07:38:30 AM »
Don't understand how these manuels are available to be actually put on e-bay?!

Surely, if it's confidential stuff it should be locked in a drawer somewhere...

159th_vigil

• Hangar Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 01:41:06 AM »
There is really poor accountability for these manuals, and most of the time they wind up getting revised and new ones issued.  While the info in the older ones are current the old versions are simply forgotten about.  I have several manuals, but then again, I don't put them up on Ebay. 

Keep in mind, they aren't classified documents, at most they are marked UNCLASSIFIED/FOUO.  The rub is that according to the arms control laws, you can't move them across boarders.  That was the issue.

159th_Axman

• Forum Administrator
  • YPV Master Brewer
  • Bus Killer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 06:31:57 AM »
Yup, ITAR classifed material can be a right royal headache for myself and the company I work for.

Have to be so careful with what information is stored on my works mobile and laptop, when crossing the border to the south. They (the USA) wouldn’t think twice in locking someone up for having such material in their posssesion without prior approval .

159th_Axman

• Forum Administrator
  • YPV Master Brewer
  • Bus Killer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 12:20:36 AM »
This made me chuckle. You guys remember Moby, right!?

Hear they are coming after Jester, next.  :)

"The man who agreed to forward the manuals on to Russia, Kenneth Sullivan, who went by the user name "Moby," is also named on the indictment as a party to the conspiracy, but the U.S. government dropped those charges as part of an agreement, the details of which they have not publicly released"

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28073/company-teases-new-f-16-flight-sim-after-developer-ends-up-in-jail-over-buying-usaf-manuals

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 07:48:23 AM »

Hear they are coming after Jester, next.  :)

"The man who agreed to forward the manuals on to Russia, Kenneth Sullivan, who went by the user name "Moby," is also named on the indictment as a party to the conspiracy, but the U.S. government dropped those charges as part of an agreement, the details of which they have not publicly released"

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28073/company-teases-new-f-16-flight-sim-after-developer-ends-up-in-jail-over-buying-usaf-manuals

It's OK re Jester; he's hiding away secretly in the Equadorian embassy -I promised not to tell so he's perfectly safe there...

Interesting on the Moby thing -does sound like 'our' man -wonder if they set his dogs after him?!

I still think that if a foreign power or agent wanted this info out of the country, they'd manage it somehow so actually making it illegal to send seems a bit of a waste of time. Best just make it un-lawful to hold it un-officially?

159th_ShallowG

• Command
  • Sukhoi Arms Barman
  • Staying alive is always mission priority.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 07:50:33 AM »
IMO ... it says more about US paranoia and its need to nurture Russia as an enemy than any criminality on the part of a sim nerd.
Such is the way of authoritarian police states.
Getting more disappointed by Uncle Sam as each year passes.
Heho .... as history has shown ... empires grow and then empires die and in the case of the US ... bigger and faster.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:46:02 AM by 159th_ShallowG »

159th_Ajax

• Command
  • Sukhoi Arms Barman
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 01:03:08 PM »
Getting more disappointed by Uncle Sam as each year passes.
Many over here feel the same. I would use the word exasperated rather than disappointed, though.

159th_vigil

• Hangar Rat
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 12:35:22 AM »
Wait you mean Trump isn't making America Great Again?  *Insert Shocked Face*

I don't think its necessarily fair to call it paranoia, these laws have been on the books for decades and it's not the first time I've heard of them being enforced.  And open source intelligence is the bane of every government, the days of "spies" is past, everything you could ever want is posted online or can be bought.  Besides, name me a country that would be ok with the technical manuals of any current weapon system being shipped across boarders. 

Hell remember back in 2012 when 2 ARMA developers got rolled up by Greek Police for espionage?  This stuff happens and it sucks, but in the context of our friends at Eagle Dynamics, I'd like to think that this developer would know better.  Hell it's even a rule not to post technical manuals on the forums. 

Anyways I'm glad Jester is somewhere free of Interpol extradition.  That fucker's had it coming for a long time ;D

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 06:44:10 AM »
I don't think this was instigated by ED, at least they claimed that it was not and that they are very careful not to do this sort of thing -and I'd imagine that is true otherwise they aren't likely to be around for long.

Just sounds like what they claimed it was -one man getting silly ideas.