Author Topic: Adhoc flight pics  (Read 5500 times)

Mako

Adhoc flight pics
« on: October 10, 2020, 11:44:56 AM »

Just one from last night

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
Re: Adhoc flight pics
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 12:59:30 PM »
Nice screen. Not my finest hour last night! All-sorts of issues, mostly my fault, although I am still puzzled by dropping/firing laser ordnance from the Harrier at times...

A quick test this morning revealed that it all seems OK, with Mav E's going OK and also GBU 12. But, couldn't get those 38's off to save me life...

159th_Jojo

• Forum Administrator
  • Sukhoi Arms Barman
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 02:18:38 PM »
Great screenshot. I adore the Israeli skin. Shame about my performance. I had issues with the TGP despite training all week I just seemed to not find the targets.

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 02:46:26 PM »
Great screenshot. I adore the Israeli skin. Shame about my performance. I had issues with the TGP despite training all week I just seemed to not find the targets.

Yeah, my problem in the Harrier, too.

I am going to concentrate on utilizing WP's as targets (if they're put as such in a mission) and then at least the HUD should show us where they are from the off.  I think the F-16 will be similar Jo?

159th_Jojo

• Forum Administrator
  • Sukhoi Arms Barman
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 03:13:51 PM »
Yes mate having target waypoints would be ideal

Mako

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 07:26:31 PM »

Yes learning to set the TGP to way points would have helped you guys for sure.

I'll see if I can add a waypoint description/list to the briefing.

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 08:14:58 PM »
I've figured out how to designate any WP into a target now. It's quite simple actually -there's an MFD button (IIRC it's DGATE or similar) and when you pick a WP, then press that -hey presto -you have a designated target WP!

One is left with a marker on your HUD at the WP even when you go into weapons etc -I'm assuming that the Viper and Bug are similar.

No need to do it in mission unless it suits the mission etc.

Mako

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 08:37:29 PM »

I was thinking more of where you point the TGP at a waypoint to save hunting about for targets...

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM »

I was thinking more of where you point the TGP at a waypoint to save hunting about for targets...

Well, the designate WP thing puts a marker on the WP, so if the targets are at the WP, you do have that, and IIRC you can (in some AC) lock the WP and hit that, what-ever 'it' is.

I tried this yesterday by flying towards 'WP2' and selected 'WP3' on my MFD, then selected it as a designated target in flight. I then switched to WP3 and -hey presto- there was a box over WP3 on my HUD even when using weapons, so I knew where the target was at all times.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:13:40 AM by 159th_Archer »

Mako

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 08:14:47 AM »

Yes I was playing about with it in the F16 yesterday... might try flying with that next time.

159th_Jojo

• Forum Administrator
  • Sukhoi Arms Barman
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 02:52:50 PM »
That would be cool. It would be good to run through how set up the TGP. I know that weapons need to be in CCRP mode before the TGP can slew. But sometimes it locks up for no logical reason. Mass need to be in PRE mode from the outset. The AUTO handoff is a bit buggy. I think you need high contrast and the mav seeker in BOH mode. I found that I have had to the hand off manually which a pain because it’s easy to fcuk it up.

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 03:03:26 PM »
That would be cool. It would be good to run through how set up the TGP. I know that weapons need to be in CCRP mode before the TGP can slew. But sometimes it locks up for no logical reason. Mass need to be in PRE mode from the outset. The AUTO handoff is a bit buggy. I think you need high contrast and the mav seeker in BOH mode. I found that I have had to the hand off manually which a pain because it’s easy to fcuk it up.

We'll have to concentrate on getting this working -it might be a bit of a PITA with us in different AC, but at the same time that might teach us some things useful in future?

I'm certainly realising that I need this as a priority in the Harrier -it's a massive PITA trying to continually look for targets if the ground all looks similar. Worth getting this right for sure!

I have had a bit of time testing a few AV-8b things related to this and weapons -learned some stuff -hopefully put to good use soon!

Mako

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 06:35:02 PM »

Ive spent the weekend on the F16 and the TGP automatically looks at the chosen waypoint so as I'd already set up targets on WP3 its really easy.  Also found the IR missiles to be quite useful too.

Still getting to grips with the HARM int he F16 though - nowhere near as easy to use as in the F18.

Also added another wave of enemy AC and added a few more SAM sites over Damascus to punish anyone who isnt paying attention!

Mako

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 06:43:37 PM »
Sounds good. I have been trying to get used to the IR Mavs, -they seem a PITA compared to the Laser ones, just messy somehow...