Author Topic: DCS 2.5 info/discussion  (Read 14913 times)

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
DCS 2.5 info/discussion
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
Just noticed ED has an announcement on how they are intending on releasing the upcoming version 2.5 to us all.

Best click on the link and study the info and handy easy to follow illustration on show.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=200340

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
Re: DCS 2.5 info/discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »
Just DL 2.5 in the beta. Had to re-install it as I hadn't used it for ages.

Just about to have a look at it and check performance etc...

OK, got it loaded. Haven't had to do much to my controls -most things as they were but odd bits needed changing.

First impressions -do like it! Looked at all 4 seasons and only Autumn/fall is slightly OT with too much brown around for me. Liked the others, although the trees are a slightly too bright at times -might try some settings changes there.

Performance is good for me, I set DCS at 60max previously and it works at that, in a quick mission it only dropped when in a fast mover low over towns to 30fps. In a helo it stayed high in same areas.

Lots of nice stuff to see low down; railways have power lines, there are new small cables in towns too (non collidable in both cases) although pylons are (tested it). trees bend things too of course... Buildings are revamped and nicer too. Ooohh yes -some really nice grass also -liked that a lot.

Well, I hear 2.5 calling for more testing.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 02:59:55 PM by 159th_Archer »

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 04:25:34 PM »
Some more on 2.5.

There's a new single FARP, which might come in handy at times -works just the same.

I found that I can run existing missions -or so it seems. I would imagine somethings won't work, but so far I ran fire on the water and only issue spotted from flying the Hip was that the kneeboard had some corruption. Didn't explore much outside what I was doing so will need to run something again and watch other units.

Tried troop transport -and it sort of works but ended with a game crash -only 1 experienced so far in 2.5 for me.

Man, it does look beautiful at times... :-*

159th_ShallowG

• Command
  • Sukhoi Arms Barman
  • Staying alive is always mission priority.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 01:34:13 AM »
Wasnt going to DL the Beta ... but seeings as you had and i had a bit of time to spare ....

Cant really fault it so far.

Seems to make better use of the cores .
Loads quickly though MP is a bit slow and had a couple of failed attempts
The graphics are indeed impressive ... and seem to run well even with settings maxed
Maybe my rig/GFX settings ... but the shadow/reflection of ships and shore objects in the water are a bit like grey fluffy cotton wool on mine.
Apart from that on the limited run Ive done  .. 3hrs --- it seemed bling wise to be excellent.

Did have a couple of freezeups/DCS not responding ... but that may have been because the mission they were running was a 1.5 one ... probably just saved in 2.5.
Did notice a few  of those freeze/lag episodes when like someone joins ... not sure what causes it.

But given the detail surprisingly smooth. even in MP ... 15 players on the server I was on.

I should imagine those using VR will wet their pants .

Note to ones self .... put a note in the pit ... Trees and lamp posts hurt!
also whats very cool is the power lines are far more realistic ... sometimes you just dont see them until they are in your face .. nothing to do with LOD , just they are more accurately modelled.
Shadow is good ... like the way the helos shadow is modelled well .... jumping in and out as it moves across objects at different distances ...

any way thumbs up so far ...

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:04:59 AM »
I wasn't going to get the Beta either SG, until 2 things made think otherwise. 1st is that if you have the Beta it will mean less to DL when 1.5.8. is upgraded, and the recent issues we've had with 1.5.8. made me think it might be better to get on with it. It occured to me that I could start making new missions also.

I'm not sure as yet whether we can safely use existing missions? I do know that settings within them re weather are changed to a degree and that the map change has left units that were once craftily hidden, are now fully 'tackle-out' as far as cover is concerned. Noticed some problems with the kneeboard -although not sure that's a big problem as such yet.

SG I too did notice the odd lag moments -forgot to mention that. They are brief but happen intermittently in my experience.

159th_ShallowG

• Command
  • Sukhoi Arms Barman
  • Staying alive is always mission priority.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »
I'm not sure as yet whether we can safely use existing missions?

Im working on the premise that a blank canvass doth have no moss on it.
I will write missions from scratch.
I intend to look at some of the 159th classics and re-write them with additional functionality that is now available.
Not matter how well existing mission files run in 2.5 .. if ever there is a problem you will always have that nagging suspicion.

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 03:13:27 PM »
Yes I agree on starting afresh. I have knocked together new templates and won't be doing anything new from old stock.

159th_Viper

• Forum Administrator
  • Hangar Rat
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 03:19:06 PM »
Cannot seem to join any MP servers, although I assume that the 159th skins are to blame. Integrity fail maybe?

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 06:26:51 PM »
I didn't have the skins on when I have joined before today.

I put the skins on this afternoon, and tried to join a server -I got in as far as the cockpit view (slowish loading time to mission though) and then when in pit, it froze and that was it.

159th_Ajax

• Command
  • Sukhoi Arms Barman
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 08:37:57 PM »
I keep getting "pure client required" when trying to join our dedi. Thing is, the installation has been repaired so I don't have a clue what is preventing it from being loaded. Any ideas?

Edit: The updater has a "cleanup" switch in addition to "repair" that I wasn't aware of. After running it I eventually got in. It took a couple of times -- apparently it timed out the first two times.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:09:05 PM by 159th_Ajax »

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 09:36:22 AM »
Hopefully they will sort the integrity check -in the server options there are option boxes you can tick -you should be able to allow certain game changes, such as skins etc.

Just not working as it should yet...

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 10:59:28 AM »
SG and myself conducted a quick test using the door gunner in a Hip and found the trees don't stop bullets -pretty fair considered.

They do however, stop rockets! Tested it in MP. I assume also missiles and bombs travelling through them, although not tested these. Appears trees might be useful cover at times!

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 06:29:12 PM »
Update 4 findings so far.

SG found trouble (as have some according to ED's forums) with joining in any flight (MP or SP) with differing AC -in SG's case it seems to be the Mi-8 but might include other AC? I haven't tried many AC as yet, but the Hip is fine -as is the AV-8 so far. Tried it MP with SG earlier on the dedi, and it appears it might be OK now.

Lighting is better but still not fully fixed at night. I believe there are unexplained game-crashes happening for some.

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 09:04:29 AM »
Hotfix appeared last night which addresses any probs with getting in game, so we're told.

159th_pappavis

• Pilot Officer
  • Sukhoi Arms Barman
  • Vryheid + voorspoed + vrede = volksrepubliek
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »
For me it was a huge download, like >=12gb.

Hotfix appeared last night which addresses any probs with getting in game, so we're told.
met vriendelijke groet,