Author Topic: Archer booster  (Read 1595 times)

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
Archer booster
« on: May 08, 2021, 10:09:26 AM »
Been thinking about a system upgrade -been about 5 years since last one- and wondered if there's any thoughts on what I might aim for out there?!

Rather not spend silly money, although I deffo don't want to fall-short for the sake of a few quid if it makes a difference, either. Performance first over saving money when it comes to it.

Current banger; W10 64 bit. Intelcore I7-4790K. CPU@4.00GHz. 16GB Ram. Nvid GF9800GT.

Deffinately need more RAM -will 32 be enough?

159th_mids

• Probie
  • Brew Maker
Re: Archer booster
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 10:48:54 AM »
RAM is a definite for DCS, it utilises pretty much everything you give it AFAIK, so even if you bumped up to 64GB I've heard that DCS will find a way to make it sweat from various videos about it etc. I run 16GB, as does Nathan. Pez has 32GB and there's zero change in the percentage of it DCS utilises. If you ever wanted to delve into VR, 32GB+ is the only realistic way from various conversations.

Last time I looked at GPUs, prices were sky high and definitely above what you'd like to be paying for what you're getting. I just had a quick google to find my GPU selling pre-owned around £150-£200 more than I bought it for new in April 2020. So maybe if you can, wait off buying a GPU until people begin having less spare time to build computers and the current crypto farming hype dies down a bit?

My specs are: Intel i7-9700K (Great, but you can get similar for cheaper from AMD), 16GB DDR4 (Enough for the time being, definitely enough if you enjoy also playing anything that isn't DCS), AMD Radeon RX 5700XT (Great card, when its working and not giving me random crashes, as you've probably noticed when I occasionally drop out. Definitely stay clear unless you enjoy banging your head against a wall. This is all really well documented btw, its just AMD pushes out awful drivers for their cards).

I'd definitely consider adding some more RAM and maybe getting your eyes on a GPU you'd like to have and put a price watch on it until they fall to an acceptable level?

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 10:59:49 AM »
Thx mids. I was certainly aware I needed more RAM, maybe I will just add a load more of that and await sensible prices, Mako mentioned a shortage of Vid cards and that still looks to be the case. Not willing to pay silly money for anything...

Mako

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 02:57:37 PM »

I think for the time being a Memory upgrade is the way forward.

I'm running:

Intel i7 7820X @3.6ghz
32 gb Ram
2080ti gfx

I think a GFX upgrade would be a waste of money at the moment as prices are just ridiculous due to the Miners and Chipset shortages.

159th_Archer

• Forum Administrator
  • Sochi VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 03:31:12 PM »
How's the price of RAM at the min? Not kept in touch with prices of anything in recent times.

Worth me getting 64Gb? If it's gonna make a difference, I'm happy to get it.